If you want to enhance the look of your windows without spending on draperies, you can opt for plantation shutters. They are popular and highly desirable, nowadays, due to their elegance, versatility, and low maintenance, among others. These create a clean, modern look to any home. They are available in a variety of sizes and shapes to match various shapes of windows and doors.
About Plantation Shutters
Also known as jalousies or louvers, plantation shutters are interior blinds that are usually made of wood. They are designed to promote free flowing air and to create a shade in order for a structure’s interior to remain cool even during a warm climate. These were formerly installed in structures without glass but with window spaces. So, they had to be opened to allow ventilation, and they had to be closed during stormy weather.
Benefits of Plantation Shutters
- They can add privacy in a home.
- They can improve security.
- They can allow sunlight into a room.
- They are easy to clean with just wiping them regularly. They can therefore lessen dust inside your home.
- By choosing the right colour, they can improve lighting inside a room and also, create the illusion of more space.
- Using the same style as window coverings for all rooms will give a consistent look, making it more attractive to potential buyers.
- These shutter panels form a solid barrier that can give more security as it can discourage thieves from breaking in. This same solid barrier can keep noise pollution away.
- The louver blades can be angled to keep your furniture away from the harmful effects of the sun.
Important Things to Consider When Looking For Plantation Shutters
Quality is the first consideration when looking for plantation shutters. It would be a smart idea to invest in shutters that will last for many years to come rather than those that will have to be easily replaced. While you can shop and save from home discount stores, you may only have limited choices and you may not be sure if you are picking the best ones for your home.
With the help of a window consultant, you can have access to the manufacturers of window shutters and their wide range of products. You can also ask for advice in choosing the shutters that will blend into the design of your home.
Plantation shutters come in a variety of styles and colours
Each shutter differs in material, design, and construction. You should choose the one that best suits the style of your home.
They may either be made of wood or faux wood
Wood shutters are durable let lightweight. Best of all, they will not warp. They can be made from different kinds of wood, which can create various grain combinations. However, wood is a high end material so not everyone can afford it. Wood shutters are usually used on upscale projects such as hotels, classy restaurants, and custom houses.
On the other hand, there are faux wood shutters that resemble real wood at a lower price. They are made of strong PVC material. They can easily be cleaned with a damp cloth or sponge. They can withstand harsh weather conditions and humidity. They allow you to save on energy bills because they are good insulators.
There are many ways to decorate your windows but none as beautiful as plantation shutters. They are a great addition to any home, especially when you choose those that will fit perfectly into it. They not only add aesthetic appeal but character and value as well.
Ash Graham owns and runs Sola Shade, Perth plantation shutters and blinds store based in Nedlands, Western Australia. Ash is also on Google+ as well.